Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hot...Hot...Hot...

A comic shot in a local newspaper drew my attention this morning as it brought back past memories. An army soldier (blue beret) wiping with his handkerchief the sweat off the foreheads of his colleagues euzonoi (dressed in the traditional Republican Guard uniform - used to be the Royal Guard until ex-King Constantine was expelled following a referendum).

Temperatures in Athens are flirting with 40+ Celcius, just like this... My thoughts are with all those miserable students sweating tons of fluid off their bodies, while trying to memorize their course materials to pass the tests. Many prefer the beach instead, having already decided that they'll only try the following term in September. Life is too short to worry about passing first time over... this is why the system provides for a second try, innit?

Anyway, I was nerdy enough to try like hell and get everything done first time over; thus my choices stuck me on a sweaty chair trying to get ready for the tests. The air we were breathing was hot and hard to swallow in the lungs, filled up with pollution gazes from car exausts. The worst vehicles were the busses. I remember quite well to this day that we used to wash our hair in the morning, take the bus or trolley to the school a few kilometers down the road, spend the day there, coming home with an oily hair feeling, and wash our heads again. The first wash was dripping dark black water off our heads like with tinted hair. Nowadays, my hair is salt and pepper... I believe, if I was in Athens and didn't wash it daily I would still look dark haired as in my thirties... What a wonderful city... noooot?

No comments: