Wednesday, April 30, 2008

How fast is fast?

Click on the picture to see the details of the data download speed (orange bars) that I'm getting from my ISP. There's this wonderful URL that tests your Internet speed in commonly used speed units and then compares yours with the rest of your province, region, country, continent and the global village. According to a few tests I did, mine proved faster than 85% of everybody else in the world and faster than 80% of everybody else in Belgium; you also get to see average stats for the rest of the world, who is the fastest and who is the slowest and much more of this trivia. For the geeks among you, this is a nice URL to waste your time and energy. Go check your systems. It's fun.

Just for kicks, click the screen capture below to see some of the world results I was talking about. In all honesty, with the speeds I am getting I never knew how fortunate I have been so far, compared to some dudes in the middle of California where Information Technology and the Internet are supposed to have been born. Good ol' Belgium... wired and cabled to the bone... Rumor has it that starting this June my ISP is gonna offer me an upload speed of more than 1 megabit per sec. I'm getting 512K rated per their contract and about 490K as we speak. It's cool to live in this country, other than its lousy rainy weather, that is. Well, you can't have it all!


No comments: