Sunday, June 7, 2009

My favorite passtime...

I've been drawing pictures and painting for as long as I can remember. Just as a passtime. I'm neither a creative nor a professional painter, mind you... I've enjoyed doing that as others enjoy shooting pictures or fishing. You gotta have some passtime, you know, to be able to let-go some energy and divert your thoughts somehow. Old story.

At first I tried pencils and very quickly moved to oils on cardboard or canvas. From early sixties to early nineties. It's in the last 20 years that I tried some other media as well. My latest gig is working with Wacom tablets and Corel Painter... so, no smelly paints, no dirty clothes and no drying time. Wunderbar! And also, as many copies of the original without any loss of quality. Go digital, my boy!

See my latest "creation" shown here above, started with a Wacom stylus and Corel Painter yesterday and finished a few hours ago, this morning. I was looking for some afternoon snacks in the kitchen yesterday when my spouse showed up back from the supermarket with some grapes that she put, literally in front of my nose, on a plate. I liked what I saw and I grabbed my iPhone to shoot some pictures. Up in my room then, printed on paper the best iPhone shot of them grapes and launched Painter. Put the printed photograph on my Wacom tablet, contoured the grapes and then started "painting" in the virtual world. It's probably the third time I used this combination to paint something "serious". It's a lot simpler than it seems.

If you click the shot shown above will bring you to a chronological slideshow of the largest sample of my drawings I was able to assemble in the last (almost) 50 years... It starts with my first "work" when I was 7-8 years old.

1 comment:

Nikolaos Antoniou said...

Ta stafylia tis orgis...