Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another Mac? You gotta be kiddin' !?!?

I went out to order my x'th Mac computer just yesterday, where x is a relatively large double digit number! I don't quite know why I keep doing this... eact time El Jobso comes out to announce his latest gear it only takes a few seconds before I get on the online Applestore to place the order. What am I doing with the old stuff? Well, some I keep, some I sell second hand and the rest that I can't sell I just give to friends and acquaintances for free. If I kept all of it in my house I might have to start an Apple Mackintosh Museum one day, mind you. To justify new buys to myself, I gotta say, I've grown to become a master in rationalization... I am fooling myself so big that I end up believing my own cheap excuses... it's like faking an orgasm during masturbation (that's what my friend Tom U. used to call the ultimate of self deception). Of course the one that doesn't get fooled is the spouse... therefore I need to find some descent tricks to smuggle the box(es) up to my attic real quick (when TNT or UPS arrives at the front door) in ways you wouldn't believe; I am not gonna pass all my trade secrets away though. Anyways, since I cannot "afford" a Mac Pro box, I decided this time to go for the second best Apple has got to offer, that is the latest and brightest iMac 24 inch with 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme (it's a double core like the Duo only faster...). It's a beautiful product inside out and I was sold once I had the opportunity to put my hands on it. A brief visit to the local authorised reseller was more than enough to convince me. I gotta say though that the goodies that made me go for a faster box than the Black Macbook I own now is Apple's iLife 08. Ok, Ok... I heard a lot of BS from a large number of useless geeks how the new iMovie was work-in-progress and how they couldn't live without the timeline (go get Final Cut Pro then morons); to me iMovie 08, the iMac Gallery, and the new iPhoto is all I have been expecting all my life to be able to make and share picture shots and short family clips. Mind you, I've been trying all sorts of things since early nineties, for more than 15 years now. I started with Photoshop 2.5 and the very first Premiere version, so I think I know what I am talking about. Running iLife apps, the latest iMac I saw in action at the store was humongous! A 1920x1200 pixel screen (slightly higher res than 1080p Full HD TV) and a close to impossible one Tera disk hidden in (I wonder where) a slightly curved body but much thiner and a lot more elegant than the previous gen of iMacs. His Jobness and Jonathan I. must make it impossible to those product designers to get increasingly so much more power from so much smaller volume each time a new model is about to be created. Wunderbar! I wonder if another company will ever be able to reach that much perfection in product power, class and elegance as the folks in Apple. Makes you proud to be born a human!

No comments: